Design and technology at Staplegrove will enable children to develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
We teach design and technology because it provides children with the opportunity to:
- Use creativity and imagination to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems.
- Evaluate their own work and that of others against a set of criteria.
- Understand how to use a range of equipment and tools confidently and safely.
- Through evaluation of past and present design and technology, develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Draw on knowledge from other curriculum areas, including art and design, mathematics and science.
- Understand the impact of evaluation in refining designs, understanding that your first idea isn’t always your best.
We recognise that high-quality design and technology makes an essential contribution to the creativity and culture of the nation. We will offer our children a relevant Design and Technology curriculum to prepare them to play their part in this.